,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-”–”-

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Au Pair?

What is an Au Pair? I've heard this question way too many times... so here I am to clarify.

First, a definition from Wikipedia:

"An au pair (plural: au pairs) is a foreign-national domestic assistant working for, and living as part of, a host family. Typically, au pairs take on a share of the family's responsibility for childcare as well as some housework, and receive a small monetary allowance for personal use.

The title comes from the French term au pair, meaning "on a par" or "equal to", indicating that the relationship is intended to be one of equals: the au pair is intended to become a member of the family, albeit a temporary one, rather than a domestic servant."

Basically I'm a nanny, but doesn't Au Pair sound so much more glamorous?

If you are wondering, here is a typical day at work. Actually I have two typical days, depending on the week.

Week 1's: (decided when the mom starts work at 5am) I start work at 8. I make sure the girl gets her diaper changed, eats and gets dressed. If it's Mon, Wed or Thurs, we head to barnehage (daycare-ish) at 9. At barnehage, we play with toys and other kids, sing and eat. If it's Tues or Fri, we go to the park or do something else outside. We then get picked up by the mom at 11:30, and the girl eats lunsj (lunch) and then she sleeps for a good 2-3 hours. By that time, it's 2pm, and my work day is over.

Week 2's: (decided when the mom starts work at 11am) I start at 8:30 on Mon, Wed, Thurs to bring the girl to barnehage or 10:30 if no barnehage. After barnehage or around 11:30, the girl goes to sleep for 2-3 hours. However, I work until 4pm these days, which means that I make supper for the three kids and the dad (who doesn't cook/can't cook) who all get home at 4.

Hope this clears up and gives you a little insight into my life here! When I'm not working I have the opportunity to do whatever I want, which is nice! On certain days, I take the girl to the city to meet friends or, like last Tuesday, to the zoo. Here are some of the pictures... which probably could be in an Au Pair magazine! ha.

Checking out the tigers!


A horse...
Lemurs...
Monkeys (top left corner)...
Just walking around...
and fish! (had to include one artsy picture!)

If you have other questions about becoming an Au Pair or have other questions, feel free to contact me. Otherwise, you can visit this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment